Thursday, September 3, 2009

Africa

The Bear insisted upon learning about animals this year. So I went with it. We are studying the geography of the continents, the people, along with the animals that live there and their habitats. I decided to do Africa first because well, I like the Savanna.

For the past five weeks we have been reading out of the African Savanna book. We also have been reading about different animals that live in the grasslands using an Encyclopedia of Animals, and the kids national geographic site . To be honest, I really was not sure how much of this the Bear was retaining. She and I were enjoying our time together and that is what was important!

For the last week of our study we have been making a model of the African Savanna. Well this is when I found out how much my little bear was really listening and absorbing things. She was oh' so specific that we had to include the termite mounds in our model---after all it was so cool that the bugs made the mounds out of their spit! She also insisted that we had to make our trees flat like the acacia trees and we could not put two of them next to each other. It is so amazing the things kids pick up on!

Here is some pictures of our competed African Savanna.



Notice the huge sand/ glue mixture...that would be those termite mounds that can get up to 5 feet tall.










4 comments:

Aimee said...

That's really cool! I bet she had a great time doing it.

Sisterlisa said...

I love doing projects like this. Good job! Thanks for sharing. I added it to the homeschool carnival at my blog.

Bleu said...

I really like your project.

Unknown said...

Oh, wow. Those termite mounds are wonderful!! :-)
We love dioramas too.